1030 Assembly Street
Site of USO Club
The United Services Organization (USO) maintained separate facilities for black and white personnel during World War II. In 1942, it established its main building for white servicemen overlooking Seaboard Park. Deemed "new and swanky" by The State newspaper, this landmark provided "wholesome entertainment" and "offered a two-mile view of the city to the 5,000 guests it entertained each day." The club was demolished in 1966 for construction of the city's current United States Post Office.