1300-1400 Blocks of Anthony Street1300-1400 Block of Anthony Street
The establishment of Bellevue, more commonly referred to today as Cottontown, as a suburb at the turn of the 20th century offered new housing opportunities to both established Columbians and newcomers to the capital city. Among those who came to call the neighborhood home were citizens of Greek, Lebanese, Italian, Sicilian, and Russian descent. Often, residents were connected to other parts of the city through their places of worship. Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Protestants, and Jews remained active members of such institutions as St. Peter’s, St. Paul’s Lutheran, Trinity Episcopal, and the House of Peace (later Beth Shalom) and Tree of Life synagogues.