Intersection of South Marion Street and Crestwood Drive152 South Marion Street
UofSC in the Neighborhood
The land to the west of Hollywood-Rose Hill was once owned by the McCreery Land and Investment Company, chartered in 1895 for $100,000. The University of South Carolina (UofSC) purchased this 21-acre parcel in 1954 to build an athletic practice field. The Rex Enright Athletic Center, completed in 1954, came to be known as "the Roundhouse," due to its distinctive appearance. Ever since, UofSC athletic facilities have buffered the residential area to the east from the commercial development experienced along Rosewood Drive. The university demolished the Roundhouse and Sarge Frye stadium in 2013 to make way for new facilities.