1842 Heyward Street
This Dutch Colonial Revival house, constructed in 1921 for William J. Murray, Jr. and his family, stands at the neighborhood's South Saluda entry point. In 1932, the residence's east elevation received a major addition designed by the architecture firm Lafaye & Lafaye. In 2009, local architect Robbie McClam rendered an architecturally sympathetic addition to the west elevation that enlarged the house while maintaining its integrity. This extensive project received an historic preservation award from Historic Columbia Foundation in 2010 in recognition for its sensitive rehabilitation.
Tradition claims the reason why the property sits so close to Saluda Avenue is because the original owners initially wanted to build their Dutch Colonial house with a Saluda Avenue address. Their plans rejected because the building was not made of brick, they fronted the house on Heyward (then Lower) Street but situated it as close to Saluda as possible so passersby could still see it from the family's more desired address.
Following the Murray family's ownership in the 1940s, Emert Rice, the proprietor of Rice Music House on Devine Street, and his wife Nancy purchased the property. Ownership changed again in 1994 when the Moon family made the address its home.