Heyward Street212 South Saluda Avenue
Division of Hollywood-Rose Hill from Wales Garden
As the dividing line between two of Columbia's earliest suburbs, Heyward (Lower) Street separates Hollywood-Rose Hill from Wales Garden to the north. Established in 1912, two years before work commenced within Rose Hill, Wales Garden was named for businessman Edwin Wales Robertson, an original member of the City Development Corporation's board of directors that was responsible for setting aside 80 acres of the Stork estate on which the upscale suburb was created. A three-year planning phase resulted in a nearly completed development featuring curbed and paved streets, an extension of the trolley line up Saluda Avenue to Heyward Street, and water and sewer pipes. This entire infrastructure was established before the first lot was sold in December of 1915. Residential construction continued until the mid-1940s as homeowners purchased multiple lots to accommodate house size, creating the varied lot size found throughout the neighborhood of Wales Garden.