1208 Washington Street1208 Washington Street
First National Bank Building
Under the guidance of architects from the Columbia firm of Lafaye & Lafaye, local builder J.C. Heslep erected this building in 1925 as an annex for the National Loan & Exchange Bank. Construction required demolishing the remaining half of the Kendall building, erected in 1896 as an "ornament to Main Street." In 1933, the modern annex became known as the First National Bank building. Seventy years later the bank made its last transaction. Today, the building functions as a special events venue associated with the neighboring Sheraton Hotel, housed in the Palmetto building.
- Architect: Lafaye & Lafaye
- Architectural Style: Classic Revival/Beaux Art
- Built: 1925