1414 Main Street1414 Main Street
Site of Liberty Loan and Luggage
After operating a wholesale mercantile store at 927 Gervais Street from 1925 until 1932, Moses (1887-1959) and Isaac Lifchez (1892-1978) relocated to Main Street. Here, the Russian immigrant brothers established the Liberty Loan & Luggage Shop which also sold jewelry, clothing and small housewares in addition to offering convenient short-term loans and baggage. This diversified business remained a downtown destination until 1950, when Friedman's Jewelry & Loan succeeded it at this location.