After World War II, Main Street north of Elmwood Avenue experienced tremendous change as many residential properties fell into disrepair and were demolished for commercial development. New buildings and parking lots replaced houses that were in many cases only fifty or sixty years old. Many of the new businesses were related to automobile sales and service. City of Columbia housing inspector Joseph Winter documented this mid-20th century trend in the 2400 block of Main Street on March 3, 1959.
Previous1927-1929 Main Street