1531 Blanding Street1531 Blanding
This Federal style home, built about 1830, belonged to Dr. George Howe, who served on the faculty of Columbia Theological Seminary (today’s Robert Mills House) for 52 years. Howe’s property was initially ¼ of this square (one acre of land), a common size for this part of Columbia during the antebellum period. In addition to a main residence, this site once featured two dependencies where 19 enslaved teenagers and adults lived and labored, although their names remain unknown. In 1883 the property passed to Howe’s son, George Howe, Jr. and his wife, Annie Josephine Wilson, a sister of President Woodrow Wilson. The building has been zoned as office space since 1981.