1719 Marion Street
Site of Second House of Peace Synagogue
By 1934, the House of Peace congregation had outgrown the capacity of its 1915 synagogue located at 1318 Gates (Park) Street. This prompted members to vote for the construction of a new building. M. B. Kahn Construction Company served as the general contractor for the synagogue, which was erected at 1719 Marion Street. Roughly 500 people, including Governor Olin D. Johnson (1896 - 1965), attended the September 8, 1935 dedication. The congregation, now called by its Hebrew name Beth Shalom, used this building until 1973, when it relocated to its current location at 5827 North Trenholm Road.