1707 Pendleton Street1707 Pendleton Street
When the university began construction of the Inn at USC in 2004, this house was saved and relocated from 1629 Pendleton to avoid demolition. The Columbia Cottage, a vernacular form defined by Dr. Harold N. Cooledge, an architectural historian from Clemson University, typically consisted of a wood frame one-and-one-half story structure raised on brick piers with a basement and porch supported by four columns. The Columbia Cottage typically was symmetrical with central passage plan that had two interior chimneys. Built from the mid-19th century though the first quarter of the 20th century, with widespread use by 1872, many of these cottages appear throughout the Arsenal Hill, Ward One and Robert Mills historic districts.