President's House900 Sumter Street
University of South Carolina Horseshoe
In 1952, university president Donald S. Russell wanted to revive the tradition of having the president live on campus and had the first Professor's House converted into a single dwelling. Built in 1810, this structure was torn down to the foundation and rebuilt in 1854 by Clark Waring. Every university president since Russell has lived in this building on the Horseshoe.