1008-1010 Gervais Street1008-1010 Gervais Street
In 1910, John Jefferson Cain built this $12,500 structure, designed by Shand & Lafaye, for Julius H. Weil & Company. As Columbia's leading wholesale dry goods house, the company quickly made sure its 15,000 square feet were "filled from basement to top story with merchandise." In 2004, Historic Columbia recognized the structure for its excellence in adaptive use. Like other similarly distinguished properties within the district, this Vista landmark illustrates the benefits of preserving elegant architectural details in buildings that have stood the test of time.