1219 Assembly Street1219 Assembly Street
Former South Carolina State Armory Building
Following the federalization of state militias in 1903, South Carolina established its first National Guard Armory in 1905. Designed by architect William Augustus Edwards, the Vista’s only military-related structure reflects a change from the medieval fortress-like style of armories built during the 1870s through 1890s to a form conveying friendly order and authority. Originally supporting the 118th Infantry, the 263rd Coast Artillery, and a medical attachment, the armory closed in 1964 following the completion of a more modern facility.