1200-1500 Blocks of Assembly Street1400 block of Assembly Street
Site of Columbia City Market
From 1869 until 1951, Assembly Street teemed with farmers selling produce curbside and from an ever-evolving series of buildings and stalls that ultimately stretched for ten blocks. The proximity of this facility to the State House only emphasized the importance of agriculture to South Carolina’s economy. Removal of the market to Bluff Road at mid-century met with mixed emotions from citizens interested in retaining a convenient location while faced with meeting the need for modern facilities.