100 Block of South Waccamaw Avenue
Colonial Revival Style Houses
Rose Hill's initial boundaries with neighboring Wales Garden were not as clearly defined as today. This row of residences illustrates the fluidity of those early boundaries. Of a scale common to houses within Wales Garden, properties on the western side of this block are noticeably different from those across the street, which are more in keeping with Rose Hill's self-proclaimed identity as a 'bungalow community.' Celebrating the simplicity of 18th- and early 19th-century Georgian and Federal style architecture, the Colonial Revival style is defined by balance and symmetry — characteristics not often found in bungalows. Residences within the 100 block of South Waccamaw seem to have made their appearance years after much of the area between South Gregg Street and South Edisto Avenue had been established. Not until 1940 did Columbia City Directories list addresses on the east side of the street. In that year, 112 was recorded as vacant; 116 was the home of Hazel Stuckey of Stuckey Bros. Furniture and Lumber companies; meanwhile, 120 was noted as the home of Merton Myers of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company.