Partisan Generals Monument
Installed November 11, 1913
Designed by Frederic Wellington Ruckstull
Carved and mounted by Davis Granite Company, New York
Commissioned and funded by the South Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and the South Carolina General Assembly
Led by descendants of Thomas Sumter, Francis Marion, and Andrew Pickens, the South Carolina Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) commissioned this 27-foot-tall column in honor of the three commanders and the militiamen they led in the Revolutionary War. According to Frederic Wellington Ruckstull, who also sculpted the Wade Hampton Monument and the Monument to Confederate Women, the Roman Doric column, made of polished, red granite, “symbolize[d] the Roman character and courage of those heroic generals and their soldiers who worked without pay for the love and cause of country." The base is surmounted by Victory, holding a palm of glory and a wreath of immortality, and has three medallions of the elected military leaders affixed to the base. Believing that the leadership of the Revolutionary War militiamen paved the way for the Confederacy, the DAR positioned the monument between the grave of Confederate general Wade Hampton at Trinity Cathedral and the original location of his equestrian monument, which was moved in 1969.