University of South Carolina Horseshoe
The very first building constructed for South Carolina College, originally known as South Building, opened its doors in 1805. It contained a dormitory, lecture hall, chapel and library. In 1855, a fire severly destroyed the original elements of the chapel and the west wing of the building and was subsequently rebuilt. When the university was desegregated between 1873 and 1877, this building housed the State Normal School for Teachers, a program that trained African Americans to become teachers. The building is currently used for student dormitories, and the renovated chapel is available for rentals.