Skip to main content
Menu

Historic Columbia

search toggle

Donate
menu close

Historic Columbia

Donate
collapse

Navigation

  • Tours
    • House Tours
      • Robert Mills House and Gardens
      • Hampton-Preston Mansion and Gardens
      • Mann-Simons Site
      • The Museum of the Reconstruction Era
      • Modjeska Monteith Simkins House
      • Hours and Pricing
    • Garden Tours
      • Garden Database
      • Plant Sale
    • Offsite Tours
      • Bus Tours
      • Walking Tours
    • African American History Tours
    • Online Tours
  • Events
  • Education
    • Field Trips
      • House Tours
      • Bus Tours
      • Walking Tours
      • Early Adventures
    • Traveling Trunk
    • Homeschool Friday
    • Scout Troops
    • Summer Camp
    • Adult Education
  • Preservation
    • Current Projects and Initiatives
      • Bull Street Campus 
      • Columbia's Green Book Sites
      • Veterans Administration Regional Office
      • Women’s Club of Columbia
    • Preservation Awards
    • Resources for the Public
      • For Property Owners
      • For Neighborhoods
      • Take Action!
  • Support
    • Corporate Support
    • Donate
    • Membership
      • General Membership
      • Palladium Membership
      • Corporate Membership
    • Volunteer
    • Partners and Donors
  • Rent a Venue
    • Gardens of the Woodrow Wilson Family Home
    • Seibels House and Garden
    • Robert Mills Carriage House and Gardens
    • Gardens of the Hampton-Preston Mansion
    • Recommended Vendors
    • Contact Us
  • About
    • Blog
    • Board Members
    • Careers
    • Contact Us
    • Gift Shop at Robert Mills
      • Online Store
    • Local History
      • Columbia Jewish Heritage Initiative
    • Newsletter
    • Staff Directory
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  1. Home
  2. Online Tours
  3. Columbia's Jewish Heritage Sites
  4. 1316 Assembly Street

1316 Assembly Street

1316 Assembly Street

Site of Kligman's Army Store

Originally at 1318 Barnwell Street, Kligman’s Army Store began carrying far more than just military-related items during the 1920s. Owned by Louis Kligman, who immigrated from Ukraine to join his sisters Clara Kligerman Baker and Esther Kligerman Baker, it moved to this location to join other thriving Jewish-owned businesses in 1930.

  • Kligmans

    Louis and Ida Kligman pose with their son, Melton, among pile of merchandise at Columbia’s “Headquarters for military uniforms and equipment” in 1935. Image courtesy Special Collections, College of Charleston Libraries

Directions:

    Previous1300 Block of Assembly Street

    NextSC State House

    Newsletter Signup

    newsletter signup

    Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for events, news, and updates from Historic Columbia!

    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Flickr
    Historic Columbia

    © 2021 Historic Columbia

    1601 Richland Street,
    Columbia, SC 29201

    (803) 252-7742
    Website by Cyberwoven