Spend as little as nine hours per month or volunteer each week with us fulfilling our mission to nurture, support and protect the historical and cultural heritage of Columbia through programs of education, advocacy and preservation. As a volunteer, you'll meet new people, visit historic sites and discover the culture and lifestyles of South Carolina's capital city and Richland County.
Volunteers in Action
As a volunteer at Historic Columbia, you'll meet new people, visit historic sites and discover the culture and lifestyles of South Carolina's capital city and Richland County. Orientation sessions are offered regularly for new volunteers. Continuing educational programs are presented for current volunteers.
Types of Volunteer Positions
- Interpretive Guides (weekdays and weekends)
- Special Events (usually weekends and evenings)
- Walking Tour Guides (mostly evening work)
- Collections Assistance
- Boards and Committees
- 10% off purchases at the Gift Shop at Robert Mills
- Free admission to our house museums for you and members of your immediate family
- Free subscription to Historically Speaking
- Free monthly educational programming
- An invitation to our annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon and the Holiday Party
Additional Benefits for HC Members
- 15% off purchases at the Gift Shop at Robert Mills
- Free admission to one Garden Symposium, Lunch and Learn series or Remembering Columbia series
- Free or reduced admission to HC events
- Field trips to private properties and viewing of special collections
Not an HC Member?
Joining Historic Columbia is easy and supports our mission. Plus, all volunteers who are HC members receive additional volunteer benefits. Join today!
Ready to Become a Volunteer?
Complete our online volunteer application. Once you've submitted your application, we ask that you sign up for an upcoming new volunteer orientation. See our upcoming trainings below.
For more information on how to find your place with us, contact Betsy Kleinfelder at 803.252.1770 x 24 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Volunteer Trainings
Monday, June 11th
9:00am to 1:00pm
1403 Richland Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Historic Columbia invites the public to help share the history of the Mann-Simons family and become a volunteer tour guide of the newly interpreted site. This training session will consist of the following: a sample tour of the site, an overview of the family, history of the site, broad topics related to the site- Slavery, Jim Crow, Civil Rights and Urban Renewal, and a day in the life of a volunteer.
Walt has been a volunteer for eight years. He joined when he first heard about the Mann-Simons Site and the interpretive enhancements that were underway. Having been born and raised in what is now the Earlewood community in downtown Columbia, Walt has experienced many different transformative moments in Columbia's history and joined to share his unique perspective about the area—especially on the Five Points and Main Street Walking Tours.