Seibels House and Garden isn’t just a great venue for your wedding and reception, they’re also an idyllic spot for bridal portraits, as well. The oldest home in Columbia is also the most affordable portrait venue, with pricing starting at $50/hour on weekdays. We’re delighted to share with you Avis...
Gardens of the Hampton-Preston Mansion
Used as headquarters for the Union Army in February of 1865 and later saved by a local nun during the Burning of Columbia, the Hampton-Preston Mansion features renowned, historic gardens with sophisticated and graceful green space – speaking to the grandeur of its past. Magnolias and live oaks tower over garden spaces, including the back lawn, side gardens, a newly restored gazebo area and a fountain garden. This venue provides a serene backdrop, ideal for creative event design.
Amenities & Capacity
- Recently renovated property with fresh plantings and elegant design
- Extensive back lawn for a ceremony and reception
- Recently restored mid-1800’s arboretum-style side gardens with paved walking paths
- A fountain garden, surrounded with seating underneath live oak trees
- A gazebo garden, with stunning covered gazebo space underneath live oak trees
- Covered porch on a freshly-painted home
- 2 new restrooms (installation to be completed Fall 2018)
- Access to wireless internet and electricity throughout gardens
- HC staff on-site for duration of event
Please Note: This is an outdoor only venue; the historic home is a museum and not available for rentals.
This house was built in 1818 by Ainsley Hall, a wealthy Columbia merchant, and his wife Sarah. They sold the house in 1823 to Wade Hampton I, who updated the Federal-style home to Greek Revival. The house passed through the Hampton and Preston families, who were forced to sell the estate after the Civil War. The house & grounds were used as headquarters for the Union Army in February 1865. The property survived destruction thanks to Sister Bapista Lynch who implored Sherman to spare the house for use as a temporary convent. Later, the estate accommodated several institutions including the College for Women, Chicora College, Westerveldt Academy and Columbia Bible College. In 1947, the gardens were bulldozed and the four acre tract was subdivided for commercial use. Following a yearlong rehabilitation, the historic mansion reopened in 1970.
Historically Ever After