2717 Canterbury Road2717 Canterbury Road
This 1951 Georgian Revival house was designed by architect C. Hardy Oliver (1910—2006) for his brother, S. Kemble Oliver, Jr. (1909—1988) and Kemble's wife, Gwendolyn McKinnon Oliver (1908—2005). Hardy was married to Gwendolyn's sister, Eleanor (1910—1993). The brothers moved to Columbia when their father, Sewall Kemble Oliver, Sr. (1884—1973), was appointed the manager of Columbia Duck Mill in 1909. He later founded Oliver Motor Company in 1928, which operated in Columbia for nearly 60 years.