1417 Calhoun Street1417 Calhoun Street
How and why this building came to be built remains a mystery. According to Columbia city directories, J.L. Brothers, a conductor for the Columbia, Newberry, and Laurens (CN&L) Railroad Company, lived here with his wife, Janie, from 1910 until 1914. W.E. Harris and his wife, Annie, occupied the property from 1916 into the mid-1920s. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for 1910 and 1919 feature illustrations of two different buildings. Combined, these two sources suggest that Harris most likely erected today's structure between 1915 and 1919 as a replacement for Brothers’ earlier residence.