1337 Assembly Street
Former Columbia Electric Street Railway, Light & Power Company Building
When built about 1901, this Richardsonian Romanesque style building was a hallmark of modernity for Columbia. Through two state-of-the-art rotary converters, designed by Charles Steinmetz, this transformer station switched alternating current to direct current for use by businesses, homes and trolleys. Rehabilitated, the structure remains an architecturally notable property today used as an office.