1420 Devonshire Drive
Housing as Investment in Forest Hills
This 1937 Colonial Revival house was the result of an unusual transaction between a builder and a University of South Carolina professor of education. John Jameson, the owner of the land, arranged to sell the land to his neighbors, Dr. Joseph McTyeire Daniel (1896—1970) and his wife, Frances Gibson Daniel (1901—1993). Jameson used a Lafaye & Lafaye plan, and the Daniels moved in after it was finished. Jameson's investment in the new neighborhood of Forest Hills drew a new family into the emerging community.