2300 Taylor Street
Site of Black USO Club
Opened in February 1942, one year after the founding of the United Service Organization, this club offered leisure activities to black servicemen barred admittance into the USO’s main, whites-only, facility on Laurel Street. After World War II until integration, the Taylor Street USO increasingly became more of a center for the community where events for adults and children took place. Following its closure in 1963, the facility functioned as Allen University’s student center.