804 Kilbourne Road
Located along one of Heathwood’s longest roads stand a number of architecturally notable residences. Among them is the Powers House, deemed eligible for inclusion within the National Register of Historic Places for its contributions to Columbia’s architectural heritage. E. Capers Powers, a broker with M.C. Heath & Co., had this stone and wood-frame residence constructed by 1923 on the northeast corner of what was then Hollywood (now Cassina) and Kilbourne roads. At that time Kilbourne was not a thoroughfare between Devine Street to the south and Beltline Boulevard to the east as it is today. Rather, it was a wide red clay road featuring a street car line running down its center.
Best described as an eclectic interpretation of the Colonial Revival style of architecture, then en vogue throughout the United States, the Powers family’s house incorporates a variety of design elements. The use of gray and brown stone contrasting with white painted clapboards, intersecting gables, grouped and single six-over-six pane windows, and a main entrance comprised of a solid six-paneled door surrounded by sidelights and a transom combine to result in a dynamic façade. While comparatively a relatively minor detail, the residence’s entrance porch incorporates detailed exposed rafter tails and heavy brackets frequently found within Craftsman style structures also popular during the 1910s through the 1930s.