805 Kilbourne Road
Within a decade of M.C. Heath’s construction of Heathwood Hall, growth of his new suburb continued to be apparent. By 1923, the developer’s niece, Sara C. Powers, and her husband, Simpson J. Zimmerman, had erected a new house on the northwest corner of Kilbourne and Hollywood (today Cassina) roads. The Zimmerman family’s two-story brick residence blended stylistic influences of the time. Overall, the structure assumed the form of an asymmetrical, hipped-roof Prairie style residence whose brick work emphasized horizontal lines. Craftsman style details included exposed rafter tails and heavy brackets. Meanwhile, minor Colonial Revival style treatments were used in the home’s front entrance. Following the Zimmerman family’s move in 1928, L. Cooper Smith became the second owner of this early Heathwood residence.