2020 Preservation  Award Winner: 1701 Pendleton Street

blog filters form

By: John Sherrer, Director of Cultural Resources

1701 Pendleton Street home in Columbia, S.C. Historic Columbia collection
1701 Pendleton Street. Image Courtesy of Historic Columbia collection

Each year, Historic Columbia presents Preservation Awards to celebrate the accomplishments of local property owners; professionals in the fields of architecture, construction and design; and leaders who champion preservation as an opportunity to support the Midlands’ economy and culture. These awards are given in the areas of Preservation Leadership, Preservation/Restoration, Adaptive Use and New Construction in a Historic Context.

1701 Pendleton Street 
Preservation/Restoration 

Owners: Katie and Matt Bogan 

Architect: Asheley St. John/1x1 Design 

Contractor: Indigo Builders 

map of henderson and pendleton streets
Image courtesy of South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia

Situated at the northeast corner of the intersection of Henderson and Pendleton streets, this two-story wood frame dwelling likely was built in late 1901. Not long before, this area of Pendleton Street had been freshly cut through land formerly belonging to Robert P. Mayrant and his family, thus extending the city’s grid through fields stretching to the east. Mentioned in a 1901 newspaper article and listed in the 1903 city directory, R. Alex McCreery, president of the land and real estate investment company, McCreery Brothers, appears to have been the house’s first occupant. In fact, given his profession, McCreery may have had the house built as part of his company’s work. During the 1910s through the late 1930s, the members of family of the Elliott and Pringle families lived in the house, although they may not have owned it, as newspaper advertisements show the property was frequently listed available for rent, though with many notices being for short seasonal stays of a few months rather than longer durations. Described a “fine home” in the “best” area of town, the entire eight-room residence or an apartment it contained, often was rented further during the remainder of the 20th century. Sometime, most likely during the 1970s, the structure was clad in aluminum siding, which obscured the original wood clapboards. 
 

directory record
Image courtesy of South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia

Like generations of the home’s other residents, current owners Katie and Matt Bogan appreciated the benefits of this desirable downtown district. They also valued the University Hill Neighborhood’s special designation as an architectural conservation district. Wanting their new home to more fully represent its original self while meeting their family’s contemporary needs, the couple embarked on a transformational restoration journey. Clapboards and trim shed of their decades-old aluminum skin, the house received a sympathetic addition that replaced a former garage and other additions. the wooden porch columns and their trim. Turning their attention from their architecturally sensitive exterior work, the Bogans beautifully restored the home’s interior, keeping fireplaces and floors and choosing interior colors which highlight the architecture of the home, including the very high ceilings. 

The 2020 Preservation Awards are made possible through our generous sponsors Boyer Commercial Construction, Brennan Works LLC, Columbia Development Corporation, Garvin Design Group, GBX Group LLC, Hood Construction Company, Inc., Lambert Architecture & Construction Services, Inc., PMC Property Group, Rogers-Lewis, 1x1 Design, Architrave, Inc., Cason Development Group, Honey River Catering, and Seed Architecture.