1716 Williams Street1716 Williams Street
Site of Second Howard School
Following an appropriation of $300,000 in 1923 for improvements to its public schools, Columbia replaced the original Howard School with a modern two-story, twelve-room brick facility. Located a block east of the city's waterworks, the new school operated from 1924 until 1971, when it officially closed. Run as a "Walk-In" school from 1972 until 1975, the structure was demolished in November 1979.