Skip to main content

In anticipation of inclement weather, Historic Columbia will be closed Sunday, January 25. This includes all gardens and historic house museum tours. The Heathwood Walking Tour has been rescheduled to February 1. 

Menu Close Menu

Historic Columbia

Buy Tickets Donate
  • FAQs
Upcoming Events

Navigation

  • Tours
    • House Tours
      • Robert Mills House and Gardens
      • Hampton-Preston Mansion and Gardens
      • Mann-Simons Site
      • The Museum of the Reconstruction Era
      • Modjeska Monteith Simkins House
    • Walking Tours
    • Garden Tours
      • Garden Database
    • African American History Tours
    • Online Tours
    • Group Tours
      • Group Bus Tours
      • Group House Museum Tours
      • Group Walking Tours
  • Education
    • Field Trips
      • House Tours
    • Traveling Trunks
  • Support
    • Corporate Support
      • Additional Support Opportunities
      • Corporate Membership
      • Program & Event Sponsorship Options
    • Donate
    • Membership
    • Palladium
    • Volunteer
    • Annual Fund
    • Partners and Donors
  • Rent a Venue
    • Gardens of the Hampton-Preston Mansion
    • Seibels House and Garden
    • Robert Mills Carriage House and Gardens
    • Gardens of the Woodrow Wilson Family Home
    • Weddings
    • Photoshoots and Elopements
    • Contact Us
  • Research
    • Abandoned Cultural Property
    • Object Collection
    • Projects and Initiatives
  • Preservation
    • Preservation Awards
    • Preservation Advocacy
    • Resources and Services
    • Economic Impact Study
    • Building Richland County
  • About
    • Blog
    • Board Members
    • Careers
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletter
    • Staff Directory

Buy Tickets

Donate

  1. Home
  2. Online Tours
  3. African American Heritage Sites Tour
  4. 2221 Washington Street

2221 Washington Street

Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church

Completed in 1908, this Colonial Revival style church was originally the Woodrow Memorial Presbyterian Church, a tribute to Columbia Theological Seminary professor and administrator Dr. James Woodrow. In 1924, the Presbyterian Church vacated the property, which in 1929 was sold to Allen University and renamed Salters Memorial A.M.E. Church. In 1943, the church members changed their sanctuary's name to Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church.

  • Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church

    Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church, 2018. Historic Columbia collection

  • Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church, undated

    Bishop's Memorial A.M.E. Church, undated. Historic Columbia collection

Directions:

    Previous1101 Pine Street

    Next1401 Pine Street

    NTHP Preservation Award Winner
    Historic Columbia

    © 2026 Historic Columbia

    Administrative Offices
    1601 Richland Street
    Columbia, SC 29201

    Tours
    All historic house and garden tours start at the Welcome Center at Robert Mills.
    1616 Blanding Street
    Columbia, SC 29201

    Questions? Call (803) 252-7742.

    Newsletter Signup

    newsletter signup

    Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for events, news, and updates from Historic Columbia!

    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Flickr
    • Privacy Policy
    Website by Cyberwoven