800 Richland Street
South Carolina Governor's Mansion
This residence, constructed in 1855 as the officers' quarters for Columbia's Arsenal Academy, survived the Civil War and was renovated before being established as the Governor's Mansion in 1869. Since then, the South Carolina's Governor's Mansion has changed over time to better meet the needs of its various occupants. In 1894, during the term of Governor Benjamin R. Tillman (1890-1894), the mansion received electrical service, whose advent in Arsenal Hill came hand-in-hand with the installation of an electric trolley line within the neighborhood.
Site of Arsenal Academy
Founded in 1842, South Carolina Military College originally consisted of the Citadel in Charleston, and Arsenal Academy in Columbia. Only the two-story officers' quarters, known today as the Governor's Mansion, survived the Civil War.