2622 North Main Street2622 North Main Street
North Columbia Fire Station No. 7
Designed by noted South Carolina architect Heyward S. Singley, this community landmark has been an integral part of Cottontown since 1948. Singley’s aesthetically and technologically modern facility was a product of blending Art Moderne and International Style elements outside with a completely fire resistant, well organized structure inside. Completed for approximately $62,000, the station featured a 12-bed dormitory, supply room, alarm room, recreation room, bathing, sanitation, and kitchen facilities that could accommodate three fire companies. In 2005 following a sensitive rehabilitation, the building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its contribution to Columbia’s architectural heritage and its association with Singley.