2808 Forest Drive2808 Forest Drive
"This 1937 Tudor Revival house was designed by architects Lafaye & Lafaye, a firm that won many commissions in the Forest Hills neighborhood. It was originally owned by William O. Callahan (1908–1967) and his wife, Phoebe Singley Callahan (1911–2000). Callahan graduated from the University of South Carolina and began his career as a carrier for the US Postal Service in 1935, eventually becoming Columbia’s Postmaster in 1961. He served in the United States Air Force during World War II in the European Theatre and gained the rank of Colonel.
Newspaper accounts of social events held at the house refer to it as “Allways.” The house is asymmetrical, with a rough projecting brick veneer. This home has a twin at 4111 McGregor Drive in Columbia’s Heathwood neighborhood, identical both in design and materials."