3807 Cassina Road3807 Cassina Road
Within ten years of the completion of the Heath mansion, development within the suburb gained momentum. In 1924, James Rose, manager of the South Carolina Inspection and Rating Bureau, purchased a lot in M.C. Heath’s planned suburb. By 1926, James Rose and Sallie Parker had constructed this Eclectic style house on what was then called Hollywood Road (now Cassina Road), which linked to the eastern approach to the developer’s home.
Like most other properties throughout the neighborhood, the Rose-Parker House was set back from the road so that its visual impact would be enhanced by a deep lawn. Notable on this early landmark property is the blending of features found within two architectural expressions popular at the time of its construction. While the overall impression of the house’s form appears from a distance to be that of a symmetrical hipped roof common to the Colonial Revival movement, closer inspection reveals an asymmetrical elevation more in keeping with Tudor style residences of the era. Breaking from the symmetry of the Colonial Revival style, the left-hand side of the building and a portion of its central bay project from the overall façade, an effect amplified visually by the feature’s plunging roofline that draws the viewer’s eye toward the building’s right-hand side. When compared with the façade’s left-hand section, the right-hand side of the structure features an entirely different window layout of individual second-story windows oriented over a tripartite first-story window.