3319 Millwood Avenue3319 Millwood Avenue
Dreher High School
In 1938, construction for Columbia's third high school began on a ten-acre lot purchased from Burwell D. Manning. It was named for district superintendent Ernest S. Dreher and originally located at 701 Adger Road. As the need for additional classroom spaces became more apparent, the district decided to construct a new facility. Following discussion over possibly building the new high school well outside of its original neighborhood, residents, students, and graduates alike fought to maintain its place within the Heathwood area. Work began in June 2005 and continued for two years until Dreher’s new facilities, now under the new address of 3319 Millwood Avenue, opened in August 2007.
Ernest S. Dreher
Ernest Dreher began teaching in Columbia in 1889 and became superintendent of schools in 1895, a position he held until 1918. During that time he orchestrated the first school building program for Columbia City Schools, which included the establishment of Taylor School, McMaster School, Logan School, Blossom Street School, Columbia High School, and Booker T. Washington High School.