1331 Congaree Road
As part of the many New Deal programs that president Franklin Delano Roosevelt initiated to combat the national financial crisis known as the Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) is remembered most for employing millions of jobless Americans to build public works projects. One such example is the circa-1936 Siloam School, located adjacent to Siloam Baptist Church, which was constructed with WPA funds as a separate but equal school and ultimately replaced the Beulah School. The Siloam School was one of several other new schools built for African Americans in the 1920s and 1930s in Lower Richland County.
Previous1992 Congaree Road