427 Adams Hayne Road
Wavering Place Plantation
After moving to Lower Richland in the eighteenth century, Joel and Richard Adams settled on the land surrounding Wavering Place Plantation by 1768. The original house that adorned the property was lost in a fire around 1850 and the family rebuilt a Greek Revival mansion in its place shortly thereafter. Originally named Magnolia Plantation, primarily because of the tall magnolia trees surrounding the property, the grounds contained several outbuildings including a smokehouse and two dwellings for enslaved workers. In 1869, Colonel James Pickett Adams, a grandson of Joel Adams, purchased the property at public auction and changed the name to Wavering Place.
The home went through a series of different owners, all of whom were descendants of the Adams family, until Dr. Julian Calhoun Adams purchased the mansion and 225 acres in 1986. Julian Adams restored the interior and exterior of the former plantation home and furnished the home with family and period appropriate furniture. Additionally, Dr. Adams invested in the gardens around the property and planted an English garden. Recently, the historic site was converted into an event venue and the owners rehabilitated the circa-1790 plantation kitchen house into a bed and breakfast. The site was also listed with the Congaree Land Trust in order to help conserve and protect the natural environment around the property.