1127 Page Street1127 Page Street
Site of Celia Dial Saxon Home
Among the first African Americans educated at the University of South Carolina during Reconstruction, Celia Dial Saxon (1857- 1935) became one of Columbia's most celebrated educators. Heavily engaged in civic improvements, Saxon helped to found the Fairwold Industrial School for Delinquent Negro Girls; the Wilkinson Orphanage for Negro Children; and the Phillis Wheatley YWCA, home to Columbia's first African-American public library. In 1929, Blossom Street School was renamed in her honor. Twenty-five years later, in 1954, Saxon was recognized again when the Columbia Housing Authority named a new 400-unit complex in the Edgewood neighborhood after her.