2226 Senate Street2226 Senate Street
With the introduction of trolleys came the ability to move farther away from the city center and establish suburban residences that led to the creation of neighborhoods such as Lower Waverly. Most likely constructed around 1900 by Ernest H. Dent, a butcher at the City Market, this simple cottage was built near a trolley line that originally fed Columbia's first suburb, Shandon. Convenience to work may have led Ralph A. Stevenson, a teacher at Booker T. Washington High School, to buy the cottage with his wife Alberta by 1940. Valued again for its historic character and in-town benefits, this property exemplifies the benefits of rehabilitating historic structures. Ernest H. Dent may have opted to pay trolley fair so that he could venture from his Lower Waverly community home to his stall at the city market that once stood on Assembly Street.