2 Gibbes Court2 Gibbes Court
Charles Edward Apartments
Built in 1913 by Reverend Henry Alexander White, a professor at the Columbia Theological Seminary, the Charles Edward is one of the oldest apartment buildings in Columbia. When completed, the apartment building was equipped with electric lights and telephonic connection in all apartments and units rented for $50 a month. This surviving building represents the era in which apartments came into fashion. J. Carroll Johnson, an architect of several properties in the neighborhood, lived in unit #1 from 1929 until 1930. Architectural details of note include the flat roof and metal fire escapes, as well as the building's name across the concrete entablature above the entrance. Refurbished in the 1970s, the building now includes modern amenities and brings distinct character to the University Hill neighborhood.