615-617 Pulaski Street
Remembering the Ward One Community
Today, college educational facilities, sports arenas, and parking lots stand where once the African-American neighborhood known as Ward One existed. The Sanborn Fire Insurance Company map of 1919 illustrates the former density of the area’s frame houses, schools, stores, and churches. Fueled by eminent domain measures and federal dollars, the University of South Carolina expanded into this area during Urban Renewal efforts of the 1960s. Only one former home, 615-617 Pulaski Street, remains extant.
PreviousIntersection of Taylor and Williams Streets