828 Gervais Street828 Gervais Street
E.A. Beall Company constructed this two-story masonry building in 1902 for its wholesale grocery business. Mayor F.S. Earle used the building's 830 Gervais storefront for his druggist business, which was also occupied by Columbia's first post office sub-station. Several original architectural elements, including a large, semi-circular sign projecting from the roof, a corner entrance, and chimneys, no longer remain. The one-story addition to the rear was completed between 1904 and 1910. Rehabilitated in 2003, this landmark property follows the trend of adaptive reuse of historic structures that has revitalized the district.