1225 Oak Street1225 Oak Street
Former Waverly School
The first Waverly Graded School, which served the neighborhood’s white children, stood at 2230 Lady Street from about 1903 until 1910. It was replaced in 1911 by this building, which then featured eight classrooms and a 300-seat auditorium. When Columbia annexed Waverly in 1913, this facility was incorporated into the city school system. In 1925, Waverly Grammar School became a school for black students. In 1974, Waverly School became a kindergarten, and in 1976, it was turned into a special education center. It became an administrative annex in 1980.