1018 Marion Street
Work began in 1923 on the Wit-Mary apartment building, which would feature the latest technologies and conveniences in a central location near both the State House and university. The building was designed by Columbia architect James B. Urquhart and built by W. B. Summersett, a general contractor who also worked on Columbia's City Jail on Lincoln Street. The owner of the apartment building, J. W. McCormick, a funeral director on Hampton Street, expressly wanted his building to be constructed primarily of Columbia materials. Columbia Clay Company won the contract to furnish the brick and tile for the property. The apartment building opened in early 1924 and included twelve apartments — six of which had five rooms and one bath and six of which had four rooms and one bath. In 2007, the building was restored, modern utilities were added and the new owners changed the apartment building's name to the Senate Club.