1101 Pine Street
Chappelle Memorial A.M.E. Church
Situated on the corner of Pine and Senate streets, today's Chappelle Memorial A.M.E. Church grew from Chappelle Station, an A.M.E. mission church established in 1903. Following World War II, the congregation's size merited construction of the current sanctuary, which was built for $33,000 in 1949 and dedicated the following year. Along with Lower Waverly's other houses of worship, Chappelle Memorial has served as a spiritual, cultural, and social center within the African American community for generations.