1151 State Road S-40-85
St. John's Episcopal Church
In an attempt to establish an Episcopal church in Lower Richland, Governor James Hopkins Adams and Dr. William Weston IV instigated the construction a church on part of the former Adams family burying ground. Enslaved workers completed the original Gothic Revival church in 1859. Unfortunately, the 1865 fire that burned one-third of Columbia destroyed most of the church’s early historical records, as the records were sent to the capital city for safekeeping during the Civil War. On December 26, 1981, a fire consumed the original nineteenth-century structure, but the church was rebuilt the following year using the original architectural plans.