Edgar A. Brown Building
The Columbia firm of Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff designed two matching buildings to anchor the southern end of its plan that doubled the size of the State House grounds in the 1970s. The buildings are monumental in scale and Brutalist in style, and their grey concrete and classical proportions complement the granite Neoclassicism of the nineteenth-century State House. This structure, completed between 1971 and 1973, was named for Edgar Allan Brown, who represented Barnwell in the South Carolina Senate from 1929 until 1972. Its counterpart, completed between 1974 and 1978, was named for Solomon Blatt, Sr., who represented Barnwell in the South Carolina House from 1933 until his death in 1986.