1318 Park Street
Original Site of House of Peace Synagogue
By 1907, a small group of Jews, led by first president Philip Epstin (1836-1921), began to gather at this location to conduct Orthodox services. Under the leadership of Rabbi David Karesh (1878-1964), the House of Peace Synagogue, today known as Beth Shalom Synagogue, received its state charter in 1912. The first structure was destroyed by fire in 1915 and rebuilt in the same year. Isidore Gergel is credited with saving the Torah scrolls. Most recent Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe lived within walking distance of the shul, or synagogue, until the congregation outgrew this building and erected a new structure on Marion Street in 1935. The building subsequently became the Big Apple Club, a popular African American dance hall, which was physically relocated to its current location at 1000 Hampton Street in the early 1980s.