1325 South Carolina Road
McEntire Joint National Guard Base
Part of the Columbia Army Air Base, the airfield was established in 1943 and has had several different names, including the Fort Jackson Airdrome and the Congaree Army Airfield. After World War II, the South Carolina Air National Guard formed and made the Congaree Army Airfield its headquarters. In 1961, the facility was renamed in honor of Brigadier General Barney B. McEntire, the first commander of the state’s Air National Guard who was killed in a plane crash that year. Today, the facility is home to the 169th Fighter Wing and elements of the South Carolina Army National Guard.